Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 on which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph received its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a general public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and arranged liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a difficulty and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was organized, which is currently the St. Joseph Fireplace Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was flourishing with around 600 residents. Farming was beginning to support the individuals after multiple many years of hardship because of the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering enough time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to crops and canine care. Immediately after, World Conflict 1 required many farmers to leave their homes website to more info deal with.
After the conflict ended people were able to get their lives back on the right track, at least for some time, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively here reduced the hardships of the market crash. Together with the depression effecting every person in town, the community needed to stick together as part of your. Through a federal government grant, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the US into World Warfare 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph possessed a people of around 1050, burning off 10 heroic soldiers to the conflict. The community remained strong and extended to enhance the Community, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its drinking water supply, and continues to do so.